Election of Club Officers
By Cheryl Knight
The process for electing officers for 2020 begins this month. To ensure all club members understand the process, here are the guidelines and timeline set forth in the Bylaws, the positions available with a high-level description for each, and the criteria for the nominating committee to use in identifying potential candidates.
The role of Vice President is open for candidates as Ed Smith has decided not to be considered for the position in 2020. The other three officers are interested in continuing to serve the club in 2020. This does not preclude other club members from nomination for those positions.
The positions of Membership and Newsletter Editor are appointed positions at the discretion of the Board of Directors. Additionally, the BOD position of immediate past President is not up for election as it is filled with the most recent past President, in this case Dan Hicks.
NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
According to the Bylaws – ARTICLE VIII:
- The Nominating Committee shall be composed of three members appointed by the Executive Committee in the August Monthly Meeting. The Nominating Committee shall set criteria for selection of nominees. Criteria should include willingness to devote time and effort to the Club.
- The Nominating Committee shall present its recommendations at the Club meeting at the October monthly meeting preceding the annual business meeting. At the same time members may nominate additional candidates for inclusion in the slate of nominees.
- The election of executive committee officers shall be at the annual business meeting of the club in November. The Executive Committee shall be elected by a majority vote of those members present at the meeting. Each member receives one (1) vote.
- Club President– A Miata enthusiast with the ability to proactively organize and lead club meetings and events with a positive and fun-oriented personal outlook. Ensures the Board adheres to the Club Bylaws, leading efforts to update if necessary. Contributes to monthly newsletter and website blog.
- Vice President– Can serve in the capacity of the President if necessary. Helps with meeting activities and works with run leaders to ensure communications and plans are prepared ahead of time to hold a successful event. Assists the President and Board members with BOD responsibilities.
- Secretary– Record and maintain all meeting minutes from monthly meetings to board meetings. Maintain the membership email roster and sends club member’s official business notices. Collect all sign in sheets from runs or activities and maintains all records for future need.
- Treasurer– Manages the financial record keeping and vendor orders and payment (insurance, ordering of badges, pins, stickers). Overall responsibility for the club bank accounts and reconciliation. Reports on financial status at meetings.
NOMINATING COMMITTEE GUIDELINES
Committee Goal: Select one or more qualified candidates who are willing to serve and who have the right combination of relevant skills to effectively fill the open position(s).
Desirable Skills and Abilities for all board members:
- Clear, confident communication skills
- Personal organization skills
- Relevant prior experience
- Good Interpersonal skills
- Integrity and credibility
If you are interested or would like to nominate a club member for any position, please reach out to the Nominating Committee.