by Cheryl Knight
FOLLOW YOUR INSPIRATION
- Where you want to go? What activity you want to do? Where you want to eat?
- Choose the route to accomplish that.
CONFIRM THE ROUTE
- Map out the roads from starting point to final location.
- Drive the route to test the roads, record road names, mileage, and make updates to your route.
DETERMINE START TIME AND LOCATION
- Ensure there is room for cars to line up.
- Capture address and landmarks to use in communication.
- Based on venue arrival time, select suitable show and go times.
FIND PIT STOPS
- Select a pitstop for approximately every 1 hr. of drive time.
- Must haves: restrooms, drink/food options and gas are always nice.
SECURE THE VENUE
- Ensure large groups can be accommodated, seating options, separate checks, cash only.
- Secure address, phone number, website for communication.
- Notify venue of headcount at start of run.
SCHEDULE ON THE CLUB CALENDAR
- At the planning meeting in January, requests the dates.
- Anytime, look for an open date on the club calendar and claim it.
- Ask someone to switch if your date is for a time-specific event.
COMMUNICATE YOUR RUN
- Include start place address, show and go times, contact information for you and the venue, anticipated length of run and expected arrival time at venue.
- Ensure all the details are on the club calendar.
- Join the Bluebonnet Miata Group Facebook page – post your notices there.
- Place a brief advertisement (article) about your upcoming run in In the Breeze newsletter. Email Newsletter@bluebonnetmiata.org by 3rd Tuesday of month.
- Send an email to club members at firstname.lastname@example.org at least a week prior to the run.
- Ask club secretary to use the Master Email distribution list to share the information via email. email@example.com.
PREPARE FOR THE DAY OF THE RUN
Print the Run Waiver (sign-up sheet) from the website in the guidelines section. Guidelines & Run Sheets
Take a clipboard and pen; everyone must sign the waiver.
Create your run sheet, print out more copies than you think you will need (20 to 30). A basic template is found in the guidelines section.
- Include your name and phone number, the destination address and phone number, and the turn by turn mileage, road names and instructions.
Plan for the drivers (safety) meeting, which happens before you depart on the run.
Take your walkie-talkie radios.
Arrive early to line up the cars.
Identify someone that will be your sweep.
HOLD THE DRIVERS MEETING
Make sure every car has a run sheet and point out the following:
- Specific instructions, i.e. water crossings, contact information, etc.
- Rest stop, Restaurant or Venue: estimated arrival time, specific instructions length of stop.
- Leave no car behind. Remind drivers to wait at corners if there is separation between cars.
- Passing cars in line is not good etiquette.
- If a driver is creating a gap, wave cars to pass when route allows or at the rest stop.
Remind people to reset the TRIP METER.
Say which radio channel you will use.
Doubling up: advise if driving side by side on a divided highway or 4 lane street will be done.
Announce to the group who will be the sweep and if necessary a mid-group person to relay radio messages.
UNDERSTAND AND CLARIFY RUN ROLES
Run Leader OR Run Leader’s Navigator:
- Turn on your headlights.
- Announce turns, road condition changes, on-coming traffic in blind spots, roadside hazards, area trivia, and “double-up”.
Sweep (the last car in the group):
- Turn on your headlights
- Update Run Leader: cleared a turn, crossed a highway, or of large separation.
- Look out for lost drivers, missed turns, large gaps between cars.
- Stop to assist when someone breaks down. Another car then becomes Sweep.
Relay or Middle of the Group Car (may be necessary on larger runs):
- Relay radio messages that are not heard by intended receiver.
- Drive safely and use good run etiquette.
- Notify Run Leader of OTMs (non-Miatas) that create gaps in the run group.
- Kindly let other drives know of continual blinkers or if headlights are on.
HAVE FUN! You are awesome for sharing your time and interests with the club!